Tracking code caldwell guardian

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

TV Antenna Scan Killed My TV!


Here is another one of my less than popular tips for the technically inept.  Somewhere along the line I remembered some instructions to scan for new TV stations broadcast for free over the air waves.  I did this procedure on my new flat screen TV and lost about 50% of my TV stations I was receiving via my rooftop antenna.  I pulled out the owners manual and went through all the troubleshooting instructions and finally had to call for HELP!

Here is the fix that only took me the better part of Monday to apply to my TV and it was fixed instantly.  Unplug the TV while it is on and hold the ON button down for at least a minute while the TV remains unplugged from the wall power outlet.  The Tech help was a freebie I got from COSTCO concierge service that came when bought the new TV.  I plugged the TV back in pressed the ON button and was back in full reception of all TV channels broadcast locally.  I am too cheap for cable service plus it gives me way too many choices to contend with when channel surfing.

Holding the Power ON switch on the TV down bleeds off all the reserve power stored and resets all the magic stuff.  My usual TV repairman always likes to point out all the stuff inside and is amazed it all works as well as it does for as long as it does actually work.   The old Motorola with the converter box works all the time every time since 1982. It will be going nowhere soon despite please from my kids to get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A public discourse on the issues of the day makes the world a better place.

We welcome comments but they will be moderated and edited if too long or do not have anything to do with the post.
Agree or disagree just do it without profanity or it won't get posted. Try to keep your comments to no more than 300 words. Too long and I will try to edit it down or simply delete the comment. The whole idea is to get people to read your comment. Don't use 10 words when one will do the job.

It's OK to have a difference of opinion but keep it civil. I have used the "delete" feature on myself at times.

The ANONYMOUS feature for comments seems to be the most user friendly. People have commented they have difficulty with the other methods of posting comments.