Tracking code caldwell guardian

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sleep Apnea, You Could Have IT And Not Know It!

Sleep apnea is something I was totally unaware of until my 90 year old father got one of those funny looking masks with what looks like a mini vacuum cleaner attached.  Symptoms can be deceiving and the consequences deadly if you aren't paying attention to what your body is trying to tell you.

Over the years my nightly trips to the bathroom increased to the point of 9-12 trips a night.  The Doc said it was probably and inflamed prostate and gave me a round of Cipro and told me to stop drinking coffee. I followed doctors orders but it didn't work.  I had the Doc prescribe some sleeping pills, the number of trips to the bathroom went down to about 4-6 and I thought this was the ticket.  The help from sleeping pills didn't last but a few months before the nightly trips got higher and higher to the 9-12 range again.

The doc sent me in for a sleep study.  Nice place with a big cushy bed and lots of wires hooked up to my head, torso, and legs.  I went to sleep and they watched me all night long.  The results:  I was waking myself up as many as 90 times an hour, I never did hit REM sleep, my Oxygen saturation went down as low as 63 (normal is in the mid 90's).  I was literally suffocating myself and didn't know it.

If you are up and headed to the "head" more than 2-3 times a night you need to see your Doctor right away.  Before going in for the cure which entails another sleep study to determine the pressure required to push past all the throat obstructions I had a close call.  I woke up gasping for air, heavy chest feelings and in a state of near panic.  Sleep apnea had closed off my airway and the lack of oxygen kicked in my adrenal glands with a big shot of adrenaline and that is what woke me up.

I share this with you as something that might help improve your quality of life. Walking around during your waking hours like a Zombie due to lack of proper sleep does not have to be, there is help out there if you and your Doctor work together on the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A public discourse on the issues of the day makes the world a better place.

We welcome comments but they will be moderated and edited if too long or do not have anything to do with the post.
Agree or disagree just do it without profanity or it won't get posted. Try to keep your comments to no more than 300 words. Too long and I will try to edit it down or simply delete the comment. The whole idea is to get people to read your comment. Don't use 10 words when one will do the job.

It's OK to have a difference of opinion but keep it civil. I have used the "delete" feature on myself at times.

The ANONYMOUS feature for comments seems to be the most user friendly. People have commented they have difficulty with the other methods of posting comments.